Friday, September 11, 2009

slash Love

So it’s a Friday night. It’s been a long week and all you want to do is spend some time relaxing with your significant other. You could go see a movie, cook dinner together, perhaps play some boardgames.

Or… sit side by side and quest together.

Many people seem to think that playing video games is very anti-social, but I find that it is not only social, but also can be quite romantic. World of Warcraft is a game that is ultimately built around the same mechanics as an online chat room. WoW is inherently a social game. You meet people, build relationships, make friends, make enemies much like you do in real life.

In some instances, you can even find love. Call me a geek if you wish, but I truly enjoy playing WoW with my girlfriend. I first introduced her to the game several years ago. This was before we were dating. I had already been playing for about a year (I wasn’t terribly good, but I knew my way around) and was able to give her tips on how to play and where to get specific items etc. She quickly caught up to me (and I admit has now far surpassed me) and we began to start playing content that neither of us were familiar with.

This wasn’t just fun, it was romantic. The game events that had been programmed for anyone who played the game began to take on a more personal feel. They weren’t just experiences, they were shared experiences. We were creating memories.

We aren’t the only ones.

Many friends I have made in game also play with significant others. I’ve seen husbands fly through the skies with their wives. I’ve seen fathers heal their sons in battle. I’ve seen just about any loving relationship you can imagine in WoW.

Humorous anecdote.

I have also run into several funny instances where I notice a character logs on and I say hello, only to find out that it is my friend’s wife playing. This can sometimes be quite amusing actually. I have logged onto my girlfriend’s avatars and some of her friends start speaking with me, without realizing that she isn’t playing. There is a strong degree of trust and intimacy in knowing that your significant other will allow you to play his or her characters. It’s kind of like driving somebody else’s car. You want to be careful with it and prove that you are worthy of driving it.

Trust. Essential in a relationship.

One of the other reasons that I believe WoW is an effective romantic medium is because it also transcends distances. In the past, it would be difficult to keep in touch if your loved one was away. Granted, even in our high speed communication age, I still love writing a handwritten letter and sending it to my girlfriend. However, WoW allows people from all over the world to play together. As long as you have a computer with the software and an account, you can play with a friend in Europe while you’re sitting in your living room in Los Angeles.

Another enjoyable aspect to World of Warcraft is the fact

Relationships, whether romantic or not, are all about emotional attachment. This attachment can be to anything, as long as it has personal significance. Wow is great at creating emotional attachment because it requires a fair amount of work to play, but also rewards you with character upgrades and rare items. These items can be word as badges to demonstrate your ability in game. I have kept several items that don’t really have any value to other players, but are important to me because I have received them as gifts. These items are really only a series of 1s and 0s, but I have given them importance by associating them with much loftier emotions like love and appreciation.

These are just some of the ways that World of Warcraft can build relationships. Ultimately is comes down to having fun with someone you care about. Sharing experiences and talking about them. Even today, I took my girlfriend to an exhibit on World of Warcraft artwork and we both had a wonderful time. While WoW may not be everyone’s cup of tea, for those who do enjoy playing it, it can be a very romantic and loving experience. Some of my fondest memories are sitting next to my love while playing games together.

1 comment:

  1. This blog seems to have a very interesting topic that I’m sure has a lot of interesting points to discuss. However the writing could use just a little bit of tweaking. The writing is a little bit hard to follow and there are several sentence fragments:
    “Another enjoyable aspect to World of Warcraft is the fact”
    And some sentences that seem to not have any place within the writing or between the paragraphs such as when, between paragraphs five and six you simply say humorous anecdote. If they are the titles for different sections they should probably be italicized or bold faced to differentiate them from the rest of the post, and if they are being used more for dramatic effect by separating them from the other paragraphs they should be better connected to the paragraphs around it. This is done better in some parts of the post, such as:
    “They weren’t just experiences, they were shared experiences. We were creating memories.

    We aren’t the only ones.”
    Than in others:
    “As long as you have a computer with the software and an account, you can play with a friend in Europe while you’re sitting in your living room in Los Angeles.

    Another enjoyable aspect to World of Warcraft is the fact”
    All of that said this post does do a pretty good job in talking about WoW in terms that people who do not play it, such as myself, can understand. Keep up the good work and I can’t wait to read future posts!

    ReplyDelete